(Press Release) Montreal Charity Raises $425,000 for At-risk Youth
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MONTREAL, QC (10 December 2018). LOVE (Québec), a Montreal-based non-profit organization formerly known as LOVE: Leave Out Violence (Québec), marked its 25th Anniversary on Monday at a benefit gala in partnership with Maestro Kent Nagano and musicians from the Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal at Bourgie Concert Hall.
LOVE was founded by Montrealer, Twinkle Rudberg, who was inspired to end the cycle of violence following the death of her husband, Dan Rudberg, at the hands of a 14-year old purse snatcher.
“In that moment, my life was changed. During those years, I watched the proliferation of youth violence that stemmed from frustration, hopelessness and realized that something had to be done to curb the tide. Then the miracles started falling into place and LOVE was born”, said Mrs. Rudberg.
Diane Bussandri, President of LOVE (Québec)’s Board of Directors, said, “As much as it has been a huge undertaking for all of us to create an event like the 25th Gala for LOVE (Québec), raising $425,000 speaks to the immense support we have received from the Montreal community. The monies we have raised will go directly towards helping us reach our goal or providing services to many more youth throughout Greater Montreal, all touched by an endless variety of challenges posed by today's society.”
While the organization continues to work with youth who have been victims, witnesses, or perpetrators of bullying, harassment, hate crimes and violence, the program has evolved over the years to welcome young people struggling with their identity, emotional and mental well-being, social pressure, unemployment and uncertainty about their futures.
“LOVE strives to give youth participants a voice; we believe that empowering them as leaders in their schools and communities is the key to a better tomorrow. Youth who enter our programs face many challenges, but leave equipped with the tools they need to effect positive changes in the world around them”, said Justin Murgai & Joseph Allen, Co-Executive Directors of LOVE’s Quebec chapter.
Sincere gratitude goes to the Gala Co-Chairs, Calin Rovinescu (President and CEO of Air Canada) and Normand Coulombe (President of iNFiNi-t Wealth Management Advisers), as well as key sponsors including Newton Foundation, Sky Regional Airlines, Power Corporation of Canada, and Chorus Aviation.
ABOUT LOVE (QUÉBEC): LOVE (Québec) is a Montreal-based non-profit organization that, since 1993, has empowered at-risk youth to thrive, radically changing the trajectory of their lives through innovative education that gives them the emotional intelligence to overcome the challenges they face. Our programs are essential and successful, creating inspirational community leaders and giving them a voice to prove that love is greater than anything.
Starting as a humble photojournalism project, running out of the basement of Dawson College, LOVE has since blossomed into a well-established program serving over 500 youth in 25 schools across Greater Montreal, with sister programs running in Toronto, Halifax, and Vancouver.
Co-Executive Director, LOVE (Québec)
T: (514) 938-0006, ext. 2229 | C: (514) 652- 4104
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
IMAGES FOR PUBLICATION:
Photo credit: George Liberman
High-resolution files available at this link: click here
- Image 1: L-R : LOVE (Québec)’s Founder, Twinkle Rudberg, with Brenda Proulx, creator of LOVE’s first photojournalism program.
- Image 2: L-R : LOVE (Québec)’s Youth Leaders Bryanna Do Couto; Devon McChristie; Eden Alati Coventry; Christina Morgan Arseneau.
- Image 3: L-R : Members of LOVE (Québec)’s 25th Anniversary Gala Committee, Justin Murgai (Co-Executive Director, LOVE-Québec); Satoko Shibata Ingram (Honorary Gala Co-Chair); Bonnie Struthers; Aissatou Ba (Treasurer, LOVE-Québec’s Board); Diane Bussandri (President, LOVE-Québec’s Board); and Marcel Pinchevsky.
- Image 4: L-R: David Rheault (Senior Director, Government and Community Relations at Air Canada) representing Calin Rovinescu at LOVE (Québec)’s 25th Anniversary, with Eric Lauzon (Manager, Community Partnerships & Sponsorships); Valérie Durand (Director, Communications Optimization); Doug Finn (Managing Director, Aircraft Programs, retired); and Amos Kazzaz (Senior Vice President, Financial Planning and Analysis).
- Image 5: L-R: Air Canada Ambassador; Normand Coulombe (Gala Co-Chair and President of iNFiNi-t Wealth Management Advisers); Diane Bussandri (President, LOVE-Québec’s Board); Claudio Bussandri; and Breana Prince-Harris (Senior Program Coordinator, LOVE- Québec).
- Image 6: Maestro Kent Nagano and musicians from the Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal perform at LOVE (Québec)’s 25th Anniversary Benefit Concert.